This is surprisingly one of the best meals I've had in a long time! All three children gobbled it up, so that automatically put this dish in my weeknight rotation. The goat cheese is bright and tangy while the mascarpone adds a sweet creaminess without being too heavy. I don't normally gravitate toward red peppers, but the color and smokiness were a perfect balance! The whole meal was on the table in less than 30 minutes and it made enough leftovers for two nice sized lunches too. So do yourself a favor and pick up some goat cheese, mascarpone and a jar of roasted red peppers on your way home from work tonight. You will be rewarded for your efforts!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, butterflied (split in half) and seasoned with salt & pepper
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup half n half (or heavy cream)
- 4 ounces herbed goat cheese (no "herbs" are okay too)
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese (found near fresh Italian cheeses)
- 1 jar (8 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained (or roast them yourself)
- 4 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound fettuccine or linguine, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 – 2 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- salt & pepper, to taste
Warm one tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat and brown the chicken breasts, about 3-4 minutes per side. Then remove the chicken to a platter and let rest; cover with foil. Meanwhile, sauté garlic in olive oil over medium heat until lightly browned. Don't let it blacken or it will become bitter. Reduce the heat to low and add the half n half or cream. Stir in the goat cheese, mascarpone and pepper. Taste after the cheeses have melted to see how much salt to add. Simmer for a few minutes to thicken sauce, then add the red peppers and heat through. Using either an immersion blender, food processor or standing blender, puree the cream sauce until smooth. Slice the chicken and pour sauce over the cooked pasta and the chicken slices. Garnish with parsley and parmesan cheese. Enjoy leftovers for lunch tomorrow!
Serves 4 with leftovers