Are you looking to continue your New Year's resolution of eating healthy and staying away from sweets and fats? Move along, then! This recipe is not for you. These coconut & vanilla bean cupcakes are truly an indulgent, special occasion treat. It just so happens our little guy is turning 6 years old today, so we made him these special cupcakes in honor of this milestone.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- I 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- Seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon paste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pure coconut extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup cooled coconut milk reduction*
*Coconut milk reduction:
Pour the contents of two (12 ounce cans) of organic coconut milk into a deep saucepan and bring to a low boil while whisking. The solids will melt and milk may bubble up the sides a bit. Cook for about 30 minutes until about 1 1/2 cups remain. Do not let it burn, whisk occasionally. Cool by either transferring to a glass bowl and covering, refrigerating for about an hour or overnight. You may also use a cold water bath to bring down the temperature faster. Milk reduction can be made up to 2 days in advance.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together first three ingredients and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat the butter until pale and softened, about one minute, then add the coconut oil and beat together another minute.
- Slowly add the sugar while mixing on low. Cream together for another minute, pausing to scrape down the sides once.
- Add two eggs, one at a time, mixing after each one. Then add the vanilla seeds or paste, coconut extract and final egg.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients in two separate additions, alternating with rhe one cup of reduced coconut milk, only until just incorporated.
- Scoop with a large ice cream disher into approximately 18 paper lined muffin wells. Bake for 25-35 minutes, checking early, when top of cake is dry to the touch and springs back a bit when you touch it, or if a toothpick comes out clean.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup reduced coconut milk (see above), room temperature
- Seeds scraped from 1 split vanilla bean or 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until smooth. Add sugar, 1/3 cup reduced coconut milk, seeds from vanilla bean, and salt. Beat on medium-low speed until blended, scraping down sides of bowl. Increase to mediumhigh and beat until light and fluffy.
- Using pastry bag fitted with large star tip, pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with toasted coconut as a garnish, if preferred. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Store in airtight containers; chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Makes approximately 18 perfect little desserts.
Recipe adapted from Epicurious.